Detective Garda being hailed a hero following apartment fire rescue

Date Published : August 10th, 2015    Published By : admin

A Detective Garda is being hailed a hero following a dramatic rescue of an elderly woman from a burning building over the weekend. Detective Diarmuid O’ Donovan and Sergeant James O’ Brien were return back to Kevin Street Garda Station when they discovered smoke billowing from an apartment across the road from the station.

Garda and Apartment

Photo: (Dublin Fire Brigade Twitter)

Detective Garda O’ Donovan quickly jumped over the railings and began to climb up to the first floor unit of the Iveagh Trust apartment complex while the fire brigade was being alerted. The incident happened on Saturday afternoon last at approximately 4pm.

Both officers managed to break into the apartment, as neighbours feared the elderly person may still be inside. The detective found the occupier lying on the couch in the living room of the apartment and helped her out to the balcony where they both remained until Dublin Fire Brigade arrived on the scene.

Diarmud O' Donovan

Speaking to the Herald newspaper, one witness said that if it was not for the officer's "extremely brave and quick actions", Ms Griffin would have died in the fire. "His actions were exceptional, there can be no doubt about that," added the witness.

Dublin Fire Brigade responded to the incident with units from Tara Street, Donnybrook and Dolphins Barn stations while two ambulances also attended. The apartment was completely gutted by the fire, which is believed to have started in a bedroom of the flat, which is situated above a post office on Kevin Street.

DFB_Kevin St Fire FF Inside

Photo: (Dublin Fire Brigade Twitter)

The woman was rushed by Ambulance to St James's Hospital where she was treated for smoke inhalation and burns to her face and legs while both Detective O'Donovan and Sergeant O’ Brien were also hospitalised after suffering from smoke inhalation. Sgt O'Brien also suffered cuts and lacerations to his hands. Both Garda officers were later released from hospital and are said to be recovering well.

Source: Herald Newspaper

← Back to Previous Page